On ditching the tube

9:45 PM



We've now successfully lived 7 weeks without a television. We're all still alive, we've finished more home projects than we thought we could, and the children have used up every square inch of paper in this house*.

I'm never going back.

Okay, I won't say never, but I'm going to admit I'm on the no-tv-in-the-house bandwagon, much to the disdain of my 15-yr-old self.

I homeschool and I have no television. I don't even know who I AM anymore!

What happened was we sold our tv before we moved, because it used to be a flat screen back when flat screen meant 12 inches thick and Shane planned on buying a new model for Christmas.

But our living room here just doesn't have a space for a large tv. And I love that there's no more whining for tv watching here. Don't misunderstand, there's still plenty of whining for everything else, but at least no tv.

Yes, my kids still watch a show or two every now and then on the ipad or my laptop, and don't think I won't utilize my pbs kids app while grocery shopping, but I've found they aren't into their usual shows anymore now that they're not watching them on a regular basis.

I've now promised Shane that when we finally turn the barn into his man cave, we'll put a tv out there for his college football. And maybe someday we'll revisit the idea of owning one, but here are my reasons I'm on board for the time being:

1. We spend enough time "on screens"

Logan FaceTimes his friends multiple times a week, the kids still play a few games a week on the ipad, they steal my phone to take selfies and videos, these kids don't need any more screen time. I don't need any more screen time.

We live on two acres with a creek and a log cabin and a pool and plenty of room to create and daydream. And scrape up knees and get into poison ivy.

2. Seriously, there's nothing good on television

Show me one television program that's somewhat educational, uplifting, or even something with a good story line. Most of it is trash, and trash that's so easy to get sucked into liking. Television is meant to be addicting. It's easier to not even have the means to start.

And I swear I've lost half my brain cells listening to Daniel Tiger songs that never. get. out. of. my. head. No tv? No Daniel Tiger (lies - I still use Daniel on my phone when Emmie's throwing a fit in the store. I'll never be rid of him!).

3. My kids have learned how to play together

I've heard of this happening to homeschooling families, but I never thought it would happen to us. Logan's three years older than Clara and they don't have a whole lot in common. They've always been pretty fair to each other, but out here with no neighbors and no tv, they've started clubs, restaurants, swimming teams, bee catching companies, forts, hardware stores and toy factories.

They've learned how to fold their own clothes**, Logan's teaching Clara to write her letters***, and Clara and Emmie play a hearty game of "see how many little dinosaurs we can fit in the castle" every afternoon.

They still fight. They still whine. But less than they did before.

Even when we had a tv, I really didn't let my kids watch it that often. Shane and I would watch a flick every now and then and we have a few series that we watched regularly. Honestly though, without it, our house just feels different. Good different. More in tune. More creative. Less staticky.


*Emmie's always the last to sniff out the paper goods, so she's taken up to writing on the walls, which is super fun for all involved.

**they actually begged to learn, and they still love doing it. I kind of cringe because I'm a little bit of a laundry and folding snob, but I've had to let that go. Am I alone in this?

***holla





You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. ****You're hilarious! Way to be Jamie. There really is a lot of trash out there on TV. We don't watch TV, but we get too much screen time some days still from phones, Minecraft and Netflix. I talked to Aaron about cancelling Netflix, but he has to finish Star Trek first. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I wish I was strong enough to do it, but I like college football too much. When we do get satellite again though I am going to limit watching to Fridays and Saturdays only. Well, except for sports because... you know me. But no Daniel Tiger except for the weekends. :) P.S. Do you want to fly out here and build me a bunk bed? Full over Queen? Then I won't have to buy new mattresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please. I need to come see your new house. Just not in the summer

      Delete
  3. Now that our basement is done maybe we can just put one down there-- and not have one in our main living area. You've inspired me. But I love Daniel tiger. It's how I survived pregnancy. But now that I'm done, I think that's a good plan! I didn't even know how to work one when I was fifteen. And 22...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! it's true. My kids only watch tv when I'm pregnant because it's just survival mode.

      Delete