Summer Reading List, Part II

11:58 AM

I posted my last book review on Instagram, but it was a little lengthy so I'll start writing the reviews here on the 'ol blog.


These books - GEMS! All of them! So here it goes:


1. Anne of Green Gables, Montgomery

I love the movies but have never read the books, so for reading-fiction-every-once-in-awhile-cause-it's-good-for-you's sake, I dived in. The language is beautiful and Anne will always be an unforgettable character and who's read this book and NOT wanted to visit Prince Edward Island? No one, that's who. I need a trip to Canada in my life.

2. Economics in One Lesson, Hazlitt

I wish every politician would read this book, it's that good. It's forever old and in it's, like, fiftieth edition because the principles are sound. I'm trying to learn more about the ebbs and flows of the economy and how it all works and what it means for me, and this outlined some basics for me. I read part of this with Shane and we both would pause in parts and say "Well, duh! This makes so much sense" after about every paragraph. If you want to learn more about the free market and the government's role in economics, I recommend this book. It's a bit weighty, so take your time in it.

3. Spirital Roots of Human Relations, Covey

Everyone should read this book. I say that about almost every book I read, but really, everyone should read this book. I still haven't even finished it because I find myself taking notes and underlining everything and thinking about every page and the principles in them. I love Covey's 7 Habits and I hadn't realized he published this first. A friend recommended it and this is basically the seven principles but explained in a gospel setting, a deeper and more profound setting. I'm so inspired by this work. (And don't try and get this at a library - you probably won't find it. Order a copy online because you'll want to underline every word and make notes in the margins).

4. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, Metaxas

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a German theologian and pastor during the Nazi regime. His quotes have graced a few General Conference talks, so when I saw the book I wanted to read more about him. In a nutshell, he was raised in an aristocratic family in the heart of Berlin and was schooled in theology before Hitler became Chancellor. The author is excellent at painting the picture of the changing political climate in Germany and the United States and it's influence in Dietrich's life and ministry.  He became an extremely influential pastor and a staunch resistor of the Nazi party and Hitler, which led to imprisonment in a concentration camp and eventually his hanging only weeks before the US invasion and the end of the war.

I really could go on and on about the stories of Bonhoeffer and his humility and influence - like how he taught a sunday school class full of misfits and hoodlums and how he would visit their homes regularly and invite them to his cabin and treat them like his own sons, and how poised, calm and prayerful he was before his martyrdom. From his life we learn that heroes are built by daily practice of discipleship, humility and service.

So, if you like stuff like that, read about Dietrich. 

More recommendations please!







You Might Also Like

0 comments