Cheapest bathroom lighting and a trick for a fabulous day

9:13 AM

The sconces that adorned the kids' bathroom wall were pretty nasty, so we knew we needed to replace them, but since we spent $$ on new sinks, a new toilet and new tile, we didn't have a lot of cash to buy a pricey light fixture.

I saw this tutorial on lgn and thought I'd try it for indoors.

We bought two chicken lights (I don't really know what they're called, but we've always used them for lighting our chicken coop in the winter) at about $7 each, a can of grey spray paint and found a reclaimed beam on the side of the road.





They just clip on, so they're easy to move and paired with 70-watt bulbs, they're pretty bright. Cheap and easy!

Shane removed the builder grade mirror, cut it in two and framed the mirrors using leftover wood. Shane spent a few years in college working for a glass company, so has lots of experience cutting glass. It's fairly simple, but I wouldn't recommend doing this at home without some serious YouTube watching.







The tub and toilet are in a separate room in the back of the vanity area. The original tub was almond colored, and we didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to remove and replace it, so we tried this stuff:


It worked fairly well, but I will NEVER ever do this again. The smell made me sick for weeks, even working in a ventilated area with a mask on. The prep was fairly easy, though. It just required a good cleaning and some light sanding. It's holding up fairly well and I'm impressed with how good it looks. 

I started rolling it on with a foam roller, but found it works better with a high quality brush. The chemicals ate the foam roller pretty quickly.



Phew! Now that that's finally over with, I want to share my favorite thing I discovered this week.

So, I got in the habit of, whenever I was paying with cash at a fast food window, to pay for the car(s) behind me. I'd just give the employee my $20 or $10 and tell him/her to use the rest to pay for the cars behind me. It's been a sure-fire way to feel good about myself.

But I rarely eat fast food. And even when I do, I rarely have cash anymore. Then last week my friend told me that whenever she's in the checkout line at the grocery store, she asks the cashier what their favorite candy bar is, buys it and then gives it to them.

I tried it this week. I bought it, she bagged it, I took it out of the bag and said "this is for you, thanks for your help today". She looked at me like I'd just given her a million dollars. Seventy nine cents! That's all it took. I left happier. This is going to be my new feel-good go-to. 

Try it, I know you'll love it.













You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Love it! And the candy bar thing, that's why I love you.

    ReplyDelete