Southern Style (Stahhhl) Biscuits

7:28 AM

I'm pining for all things southern now that we've up and moved to the west* and I'm now dealing with dry winter weather and missing the green of my southern life (but I love Utah just as much, btw). I wrote this post a few months before leaving but never published, so here goes....

Most things don't keep my attention for more than a minute, so when I say I was obsessed with trying to make the perfect biscuits this fall, what I really mean is that I obsessed over it for a week or two.

So, for a week or two I tried four or five different recipes and techniques and this recipe, this technique is the best. Nothing tastes as good as eating two warm southern biscuits drizzled in some fresh muscadine jelly. I admonish you to prove me wrong. (Except homemade ice cream on a humid summer's eve, mexican hot cocoa during a snowstorm, a peanut butter and jam sandwich made by my grammy dipped in whole milk, homemade donuts on Halloween, I'd better quit now or I could go on forever).

This recipe is adapted from Southern Living, and it makes up in less than 20 minutes!

Start with 2.5 cups of self-rising flour.



Now take a frozen stick of butter and grate it, then add it to the flour.


Add butter to flour and toss with fingers to combine.


Using a wooden spoon, make a well in the butter/flour mixture and pour in one cup cold buttermilk.



Mix with a wooden spoon about thirty times, then roll out on counter.



Once combined, make layers by folding the dough, then rolling, about four times.



I used a canning jar lid to cut them out. Lay them on the pan so their sides are touching. Bake in a 475 degree oven for 15 minutes.



*Yup, we sold our perfect farmhouse and made the trek out west. Shane is starting a company with my brothers to bring cash-only instant care medical offices to the west, starting in St. George. So if you're a St. Georgian, go and visit The Corner Clinic in February!

You Might Also Like

0 comments